Thursday, August 20, 2009

Sea Change

I just finished reading a fairly new realease entitled Sea Change, by Aimee Friedman. A surprising tale about the science based Miranda Merchant whose grandmother's death has brought her to the mysterious Selkie Island. Miranda is not expecting to be caught up in the superstitious legend and lore that surrounds Selkie and its inhabitants. This novel, told from the point of view of Miranda, as she tries to work through the unknowns of her grandmother, Isadora Hawkins, is very well written and is dripping with unexpected twists and turns. I spent about three hours reading it today; I just could not put it down. However, I think that the relationship between Miranda and Leo, a local boy, moves rather quickly and that Friedman could have stretched out the meeting and falling in love stages a little bit. Despite this small down-side in my opinion, this book is a wonderful read that you could curl up with on a stormy night. It made me want to have some family mysteries that need uncovering, or to go somewhere where legends are just waiting to be proven factual.

No comments: